Conservation Areas

When to provide Planning Notice

A conservation area is an urban area where special status has been applied by the government to help protect the natural fauna and flora in the area. If you want undertake work on trees in a conservation area there is a procedure that you need to adhere to.

You have to give written notice to the Local Planning Authority (by letter, email or on the LPA’s form) of any proposed work, describing what you want to do, at least six weeks before the work starts. This is called a ‘section 211 notice’ and it gives the LPA an opportunity to consider protecting the tree with a Tree Preservation Order.

You do not need to give notice of work on a tree in a conservation area less than 7.5 centimetres in diameter, measured 1.5 metres above the ground (or 10 centimetres if thinning to help the growth of other trees).

You can find out more about trees in Conservation Areas in the Department for Communities and Local Government guide titled Protected trees: A guide to tree preservation procedures.

Sussex Tree Care can assist with the application process free of charge as long as we are awarded the work. On large projects we may ask for a deposit to cover the application process which we will deduct from the price of the work once completed.